Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Working girl

Howdy folks. Just wanted to let you know that pics have been updated through Josh's visit. Unfortunately, I didn't take a ton of pictures while he was in town because we were out and about, doing a serious amount of walking/touristing.

Josh arrived Wednesday after a bit of travel from Italy and we spent the afternoon catching up at one of Matt and my favorite pubs, the Bull. I never get less excited about introducing our visitors to the amazing beer selection in this country. Never. Matt eventually caught up with us after work and we enjoyed a lovely dinner at another fav, Le Mercury.

On Thursday, Josh and I toured Westminister Abbey, the site of the upcoming Royal Wedding. I thought it was enjoyable, but St. Paul's is a thousand times more awesome. Thursday was also the day of the Parliament vote on increasing student tuition, so we found ourselves sort of RIGHT in the middle of a massive protest...however, we were there early in the day and it was still peaceful. After navigating through the protesters and police, we walked along the south bank of the Thames alllllll the way to Tower Bridge. We mapped our walk once we got home - almost 6 miles!! And we felt it. And celebrated with dinner in Chinatown at my new favorite place, Leong's Legends. Best hot and sour soup ever.

Friday's outing started with an amazing lunch at the Kensington Creperie. They served up some seriously awesome savory crepes. After, we walked (just a couple blocks) to the Natural History Museum, which I have been wanting to visit since we arrived. They have this incredible wildlife photography exhibit - it was the best thing I've seen in a very long while. The exhibit had probably 60+ pictures from all over the world. Ahhhh-mazing. The NHM is a place I will absolutely re-visit.

On Saturday, Matt and Josh headed to Emirates for the Arsenal tour I did a couple weeks ago while I ran errands. We met up with our usual London gang for dinner, which was a blast, as usual. I won't bore you with all the details.

In more exciting news, I started my job on Monday. Yes, I am a working girl again. And so far, enjoying it. It's a little overwhelming because no one besides my fellow Project Officer (who also started yesterday) has this job. So this really isn't any official training. Or instructions. Or anything. Just a list of projects. So Katy (other said Project Officer) and I are working on getting our feet wet. I know things will start to make sense and fall into place and I just need to remember I am (yet again) a newbie. Luckily, Katy and all my other co-workers are awesome. And insanely nice. And funny. Oh and have I mentioned I can walk to work? My record is 11 minutes, but I think I can definitely break that time. It's outstanding.

The two of us working does mean that posts may get shorter - maybe we won't bore you with each and every detail of our days/weekends/trips. A friend of ours is currently heading home from spending a year in France and also blogged about her time in a foreign country, but she kept her blog to mostly observations about the French life with some well-edited comments about trips. We may steal her approach (if Kate doesn't mind)...I think it could be better than our current approach. We'll have to see how the blog evolves as our time here continues. I still can't believe how quickly time has passed...and that we're already heading home next week. Sheer madness.

Annnnd I'm officially out of steam. Hope everyone is getting excited for the holidays! We still haven't set plans for our happy hour, but I'll post/email them once we know details.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment